Saturday 5 January 2013

Indian Winter

I could bang on and on and ON about how wonderful recipe books are. Honestly, there are few things I love more. This week I've gone through my new books, pulled out some recipes and had some great free or low syn dinners. Jamie Oliver has brought us Chilli con carne meatballs with lemon bulgar wheat (more on that in my up-coming series of posts on the subject of 15 minute meals, but what I will say is that bulgar wheat is now On My Radar). Tomorrow, Nigella is bringing me  butterflied leg of lamb with bay and balsamic vinegar. Suitable for the whole family, I suspect I will serve this up with veggies and syn free herby roasties. As for tonight,  we dined on a Gordon Ramsay recipe from his new book; Ultimate Cookery Course.

Without being immodest, I'm no novice in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean that this book can't offer me anything. I've already made a soup for Richy from it and then tonight's massively successful dinner of murgh makhani (butter chicken). Make again? You betcha. I'm not part of the "better than a takeaway" crew. If I'm getting a takeaway it's because I don't want to cook or I don't want to clear up. Simple. However since starting Slimming World takeaways are a massive treat and the fact that tonight's cooking took less than half an hour and cost me a fraction is really neither here nor there.

So here is is, slightly adapted from the recipe as published: Coriander, Ginger and Chilli butter chicken, the way I made it.

Serves 4.

500g chicken thighs, cubed

Marinade:
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1tbsp grated ginger
1 red chilli finely chopped
Juice of 1/4 lemon
2tsp coriander seeds, toasted
1tsp cumin seeds,  toasted
1/2 tsp turmeric
150g fat free natural yoghurt
Salt and pepper

Sauce:
1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp grated ginger
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp garam masala
1/2tsp turmeric
Pinch chilli powder
2 tbsp tomato puree
25g butter

Coriander to garnish

Mix the chicken with the garlic, ginger, chilli and lemon juice (marinade list). Grind your toasted seeds and mix with the yoghurt and turmeric, add salt and pepper and pour over the chicken. Mix well and allow to marinade for as long as possible, overnight is best.

When you're ready to cook, heat a pan on a medium heat and spray with frylight. Add your chopped onion, a pinch of salt and a drop of water. Allow the onion to soften slowly for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, fry for 1 minute then add the ginger and fry for another minute before adding your ground spices (and a bit more water if it gets too dry). Once it smells aromatic, add the tomato puree and mix in well. Add the butter and allow to melt before stirring.

Remove the excess marinade from the chicken and add the chicken to the pan. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, lower the heat and add the remaining marinade to the pan. Cook gently for 5 minutes - don't cook on a high heat or the yoghurt will split.

Serve with rice, sprinkled with coriander leaves and enjoy!

I calculate this to be just shy of 2 syns per person on Extra Easy, although as always I would recommend you check your own syn values. Mr Ramsay's printed recipe is as above only he uses oil or ghee instead of frylight. Whether you make it his way or mine, try it.

I'll definitely be making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment