Thursday 28 June 2012

Perspective

I am constantly caught off guard with this weight loss game. It moves and changes like the wind, taking your emotions with it.

Last night I went to weigh in and pulled off another 2.5lbs. It's not fantastic for a 2 week loss, far from it, but it's better off than on and takes me to a total of 3st 9.5lb. That's 51.5lb, or almost 23.5kg, if you are Continentally minded. It also dropped me into a lower stone bracket, which is always a lovely feeling. The 51.5 number is particularly important for me because my target for 2012, which I set in January, is a loss of 100lbs. Now I am OVER HALFWAY THERE. Wow.

Despite these milestones being achieved, I came home last night feeling glum. I had a carbonara for dinner, made to a normal recipe but SW friendly. I used my HEB to make a garlic bread as my treat with a little bit of garlic butter. (Actually I got Richy to make it, but whatever!). Normally on weigh day I treat myself to something a little off plan, but other than half a teaspoon of butter I was totally on plan last night. I just didn't fancy anything. I felt grumpy, frumpy, and fatter than ever. Why? All because I hadn't lost as much as I thought I ought to have, either this week or throughout June - I am by far my own worst critic and I give myself the hardest time.

Today I woke up and decided to check my measurements, as it's 5 months since I took them for the first time, though I have taken them at intervals in between times. I am so glad I did. Since January I have lost a total of 33" - 10" off my waist, 9" off my chest, 4" off each thigh, 3" off each arm, 0.5" off each wrist, 1" off each calf. During the past month where I "haven't done that well" (only 6lb off in June), I have shifted 9" in total, most notably 3" off my chest and 2" off my waist. Suddenly I felt a lot better, and perspective is once again my friend - I still want my 5.5st award by Richy's birthday at the start of October though (13 weigh ins)!

This week's New Thing was Herby salmon and couscous baked in a bag (en papillote!) and served with a pepper and feta side salad.

2 fillets of salmon
100g couscous
1 lemon
2 cloves garlic
200ml chicken or veg stock
4 fat spring onions, shredded
1 small handful each parsley and thyme, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
Handful Sundried tomatoes (free if homemade)

Add the juice of the lemon, plus the zest to the couscous, crush the garlic into it then add the stock. Cover and leave for 10 minutes. Mix through the tomatoes and two thirds of the herbs and onions then split into 2 piles on to large squares of baking paper.

Put your salmon fillet on top of the couscous and top with the remaining herbs and onions. Fold your paper over and twist the edges so you have 2 parchment parcels. Pop onto a baking tray and bake for about 15 mins at 180 degrees (fan).

This is based on a recipe from bbcgoodfood.com.

The pictures are before baking and after. It was delicious, but to be honest I think bulking the couscous would be more suitable than a side salad, packing it with roasted red peppers, red onions, asparagus maybe? Suggestions gratefully received.

I will post the recipe to my homespun SW Sundried tomatoes in the next few posts. After all, it would be rude not to.

2 comments:

  1. Kellie Lindsay29 June 2012 at 17:01

    Holy crapoly!! 33" is a lot of anything to disappear so you're doing wonderfully well. And many thanks for the recipe idea, looks yum :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie :) enjoy the salmon, it really was delicious!

      Delete