Saturday 23 June 2012

Over the rainbow

If you looked back at pictures of me from the past 15 years you would see a lot of a few things. Denim. Black. Shapeless. These three things have been my staples for any occasion. Even dressed for a wedding or function I would opt for a plain, printless black or red outfit, or a black and red outfit, or a red or black outfit with opposing accessories. I suppose the subconscious intent was to hide behind the dark colours, although I certainly wasn't aware of it.

Over the years I have realised a few things about myself, one of them being how fortunate I have been in my life. Although I have always had a weight problem, I have always had friends and a life and would never have said I was lacking confidence. I am noticing a change in myself as I drop the pounds, though, and I am slowly realising that the change is confidence. Suddenly I am brave enough to try new things with my hair, my make up, my nail polish, my jewellery, my clothes. Suddenly I don't want to be dressed constantly in black. Suddenly I want to be seen.

My clothing options just now are seriously limited as I am throwing clothes out far quicker than i am replacing them. As I dressed this morning, my clean top half options were a red and white striped fitted jersey polo shirt or a black and grey longer length baggyish asymmetrical t-shirt. As I selected the red and white top I felt myself waving goodbye to those monochrome staples of the past, and welcoming the pinks, purples, blues and all the other colours I have previously shunned.

Except orange. It can still get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment