Sunday 18 March 2012

They love me, they love me not

The bathroom scales are both your friend and your enemy. You know that old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"? Well that perfectly sums up the relationship I have with my bathroom scales. It's a love/hate thing. They pick you up and knock you down, and can send you from zero to hero in a flash of numbers just as quickly as they can destroy your feelgood.

Popular thought is to only weigh yourself once a week, around the same time of day. The theory is that your weight fluctuates naturally so weighing in more than once a week can give false readings. I wish I could manage the once a week thing but I struggle to stay off them on a day to day basis. To be honest, now that my class is a Wednesday evening I've taken to weighing both morning and night. Sheesh. I need to get a grip. It may look like I have a problem, but I see it as damage control. If I know what damage I've done the night before, I can fix it the next day. Or try anyway.

I weigh in the morning because historically that's when I've weighed in. It's what I know. It's most people's lightest time. If I'm going to weigh more than once a week but less than twice a day it should be this one I drop I suppose but it's the hardest one because it's the longest standing weigh in. Before anyone tells me how unhealthy this is... I know, I'm working on it.

Even when the scales aren't being so friendly and are telling you that you've stayed the same or gained, there are other ways of boosting yourself. Clothes getting looser may seem obvious but it can take a little while to really see a difference. I took my measurements on week 1 and up to now (7 weeks in) I have lost 4" from my waist (such as it is) and 4" from my chest. That's a boost right there. So you see, it isn't only the friend or foe scales which have the answers you are looking for. It's just knowing where to find the answers.

Now I just need to take my own advice, and wean myself off those scales. Wish me luck, kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment